Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:05:47 -0400
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP:  gzip packages on FreeBSD 4-STABLE

Bruce Mah wrote:
>As a side effect, this will once again allow older FreeBSD
>installations to read recently-generated packages, although the
>use of such packages is not officially supported.

Can you please clarify this?  Does this mean that once FreeBSD has
completed the move to bzip2 then installations running older FreeBSD
versions that support/use gzip will have to upgrade to the latest
FreeBSD version in order to download/use newly generated packages?

In essence, 1) there is no backward compatibility, right? so 2) will
it be possible to 'upgrade' an older FreeBSD version to bzip2 without
upgrading the system as a whole?

Lastly, an unrelated question: is there a "roadmap" for what changes
are planned in upcomming versions?  If so, where can I find it?

John

(c) Copyright 2002  John Daniels.  All rights reserved.