Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2017 09:47:20 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Eric Masson <emss@free.fr>
Cc:        Christian Ullrich <chris@chrullrich.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere, python ports, and flavors oh my?

> On 3 Dec, 2017, at 6:31, Eric Masson <emss@free.fr> wrote:
>=20
> Is ports/head becoming the alter ego of src/head (possible breakages =
or
> disruptive new features from time to time) ?

Categorically, yes, though major breakages are rare. Situations like =
this, where a major new feature gets introduced and the FreeBSD =
developers and community hunt down problems and solve them, is strictly =
the role of HEAD. While of course we can make no *guarantees* in either =
branch, ports-secteam works very hard to inspect everything that gets =
merged to quarterly.

> If yes, this should be written down in the handbook (chapter on ports
> still states ports/head for svn retrieval) and quarterly ports =
branches
> should be publicized.

I had no idea that the handbook was still directing people straight to =
HEAD. You're absolutely right, that should be changed. Unfortunately, =
directing people to an SVN path is difficult, because the SVN URL =
changes every 3 months, and switching an SVN branch from one path to =
another isn't completely trivial.

For binary package users, new installs always default to installing =
packages from quarterly, but we could do more to urge port builders =
toward quarterly branches too.

# Adam

--=20
Adam Weinberger