Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:35:15 +0100
From:      "James Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install NT and return

My problem:  I have an old server with an original SCSI disk on which I have
installed 4.1.  In the server, as disk 2 I have another SCSI disk from
another machine with, of course, another SCSI adapter.  The original machine
from which this disk came had a mobo crash a month or so ago.

I need to get some data off this disk, and FreeBSD is playing games and says
the disk can not be read.  Nonetheless, it has found some normally hidden
system files from NT on the disk.  Before I give it up for lost I want to
try a reinstall of NT on the old disk.

Now I suspect that this will write over my FreeBSD mbr on disk 1 with the NT
mbr.  What I would like to know is what must I save from the FreeBSD disk -
and how - in order to be able to restore FreeBSD functionality when the
attempted rescue operation is over?  And secondly, how do I do that?

URLs would be appreciated in case the actual commands are too involved to
write, and as always, I'm very grateful to all who take the time to answer.

Incidentally, one of the main functions of this server when it is back up
running FreeBSD is going to be as a firewall.  Not to protect my internal
network from the Internet but to protect the Internet from my internal
machines, which, especially since I upgraded one of them from NT Server to
W2K server, have frenetically rung up the Internet through my ISDN
connection, in a frantic attempt to announce themselves to whichever
nameserver will listen, and so far I haven't found a way to stop them.  If
anyone recognizes this behaviour and has cured it, please let me know!

mvh/regards

James