Date:      22 Sep 2003 09:06:00 +0300
From:      "Karlsson Mikael HKI/SOSV" <mikael.karlsson@hel.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:Re:Re: Cat a directory

Read my first post before reading this thing so you'll be on the right trac=
k!!!!

Warren Block wrote (19.9.2003  17:41):

>Says who=3F  cat works fine on binary files.  The problem you are having
>is that people are using cat to *display* files.  "Fixing" that problem
>could break cat for its more standard use: cat binaryfile | filter |
>etc.

No, that's not exactly my problem as I wrote in my first post my problem is
people using cat on directories. But then another guy came in with the bina=
ry
files. And as the problem is both I went with binary files.

>> Other *NIX systems seem to have done this to their cat program so why
>> can't FreeBSD=3F
>
>See above.

Try to run for example "cat /bin" in Linux, HP-UX, Solaris and other *NIXes=
 and
I'm 90% certain that they will not show the directory but an error message
saying something. But then FreeBSD spits out crap which I can't see the poi=
nt
of ever using anywhere even when piping a tube up your ass! But since newbi=
es
do this frequently it=20shouldn't be possible to do so.

>> and why is this already done to less and not cat=3F
>
>less is made to display files. =20It's the correct tool for the job.

And you mean that cat is built to show directories and that's the right job=
 for
cat. Man=20I must of mised that in school as I thought ls was meant to show
directories, but hey that's my problem, right=3F So you mean you use ls to=
 show
file contents and cat to show directories which workes fine, Or=3F

Ruben de Groot wrote (19.9.2003  13:34):

>So why don't you for example alias cat to cat -v in your system profile
>and login scripts=3F This will display non-printing characters so they are
>visible and don't mangle terminal settings.

So it's better for a newbie to get understandable jibrish from cat when run=
 on
directories then an error message stating that they are trying to run cat=
 on a
directory like ls says=20when they try to run ls on a file. But as I said=
 earlier
who cares, right=3F Other OSs have only had this for "a couple" of year=20s=
o why
would we!!!

>Why not=3F I regularly use constructs like this:
>
>cat somebackup.tgz | ssh someserver "cd /somedir; tar xzf -"

Yes, but do you regularly pipe "cat /bin" to another program. If so, why=3F
Because isn't cp ment to copy files and directories!

>Because less !=3D cat. It has a completely different functionality.

I'm aware of that! But as less doesn't show directory contents like ls does=
n't
show file contents I thought it would be a good example.

>> Dan Nelson wrote (18.9.2003  17:33):
>> >
>> >I find that hard to believe.  Do you also want to block catting of
>> >executables, gzipped files, jpeg files, database files, and audio
>> >files=3F  No OS does that by default.  Maybe you should teach them how=
>> >reset their terminals when they cat binary data; ^Jreset^J should work,
>> >assuming your TERM variable is set right.

No, I don't necessarily want to add all of that but the directory part woul=
d be
a good start. And while we're on the subject of different file types why
doesn't ls support coloring of different file types like in Linux. As it wo=
uld
make finding certain files easier=20by coloring them differently depending=
 on
their ending.