Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:37:07 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:

>> In any case if you meet the driver author halfway and don't approach
>> it like it's his driver that's broken, but rather that your hardware
>> isn't exactly compliant, (regardless of what you really believe) you
>> won't be put into the anal insertion category.
>
> If I have to worry about hurting the developer's delicate feelings,
> maybe a new developer might be a good idea.  I hoped to stop having to
> deal with schoolkids when I got out of school.  Good developers feel
> morally obligated to deliver bug-free code and don't have to be nagged
> about it.

But the ahc() driver -is- bug free.  It's not bug free when it's running
on modified hardware, but it's fine when it's running with unmodded
hardware.

Your complaint sounds somewhat like the guy who bought a 68 Mustang then
complained when he had to cut away the shock towers to fit in a 460
and headers, then complained more when the torque from his engine twisted
the frame of the car.

Your going to be told to stick your head up your ass as long as you keep
believing that your hardware and it's firmware has nothing to do with
the problem.  Tens of thousands (probably more) of other people run
FreeBSD
servers for years using aic7880 chipsets without seeing what your seeing.
Clearly, there is something in your hardware that is different from all
these other people and that FreeBSD doesn't work with.

Your controller is probably the most common narrow scsi controller in
use among people running FreeBSD production servers.  Only the Symbiosis
narrow scsi chipset probably has a larger following, and a lot of these
are only running tapedrives and CD's.  (since they were sold with no boot
rom)

Ted