Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:06:13 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: favor

This is called making a collection, and strictly you are supposed to
get permission from each person to include what they say.

However, in this case, it is most likely each person is just repeating
to your answer some response they heard from someone else, or got from
a manual, or some such.  For example you post asking for an example of
a /etc/printcap and someone replies - while technically that's his
copyrighted material, if he simply copies an example already in the
/etc/printcap file with a few explanations, it's not his copyrighted
material since it belongs to the BSD copyight - except that the
BSD copyright allows you to do this....

It is far better to simply rewrite the responses that you get, besides
making them more cohesive and easier to understand, when you do this
you avoid the copyright issue.  Ideas cannot be copyrighted -
for example I can see a SpongeBob Squarepants cartoon where the
Sponge gets flushed and jams the crapper - I can then write a story about
a talking toilet brush that gets flushed and jams the crapper - no
infringement there.  That is after all how 99% of television writing is
done today.  Ideas can be patented though and images can be trademarked.
So I best make sure the toilet brush in my story doesen't look yellow,
spongey and square.

Ted