Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:06:34 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "James Buchanan" <gnudev@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Software on FreeBSD (Has FBSD4.4 grown up yet)

To answer the general intent of your questions, NO FBSD has not grown up
yet. It is just like all the other Unix like operating systems. Full of
non-logical command names left over from the beginning. Documentation sucks,
even the new updated FBSD 4.4 handbook is full of information that is not
true for 4.4. There is no desktop per configured to replace all the command
names with meaningful menu options or navigation short cuts like in SCO
Unix. FBSD does not have access to most internal modems because there are no
drivers available for the majority of the modems on the market, this is also
true for all Unix like systems.

Bottom line FBSD is a learning playground, that you will have to work hard
to gain a understanding of what is going on. FBSD may be a very reliable and
fast system once you get it up and configured the way you want it, but you
had better be willing to invest mega time to get there.  For a newbe with
out any prier Unix background, 200 hours for bare bones out of the box, and
1500 hours for full system with mail, www, desktop, firewall, and IP to
local PC with access to internet. You are on your own when it comes to
technical support, this mailing list is very slow at producing results some
times. If you are comparing FBSD to Redhat, there is no comparison, redhat
is head and shoulders above FBSD when it comes to ease of use. Stick with
redhat.

The cheapest way to start with FBSD is to download the FBSD 4.4 handbook
from the FBSD FTP site and then order the single FBSD install cd in the
sleeve from
http://www.bsdcentral.com/catalog/index.php?cat=113&id=CAF1712FD53DB706CF49D
8C2F693CA79

For $2.95. If the current release is not listed on this web page, then call
the sales phone number to request it. If the current release is for sale in
the jewel case then they also have the single install cd in the sleeve for
$2.95.