Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:17:02 +0530
From:      "Anurag Chaudhary" <chaudharyanurag@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   threads and semaphores

hi

how can I keep my parent thread working and responding to user inputs while
the child thread is waiting for a semaphore using semop() which is held by
some other process.
In linux the parent thread remains active in such situation but in freebsd
the parent thread stops responding until the child thread returns from
semop().
Is this implementation dependent feature.
Is there something that lets the child thread release resources while
waiting for the semaphore.
I used pthread_yield() but didn't work.
I also tried to change the scheduling policy and priority of the child
thread but of no use.
I am using sys V threads with pthread library on freebsd 5.0 release.
Actually I am porting this code from linux to freebsd and facing this
problem

somebody please suggest some workaround

thanx
Chaudhary Anurag

Gift yourself a holiday. Treat your family like royalty.
http://www.flexihols.com/2003/index.php