Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 10:36:46 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel w/o source? [MOD_DECL in lkm.h]

As John Birrell wrote:

(DEVFS)

> > Define `universal'.
>
> Default? I dunno, the crystal ball was a little fuzzy. 8-)

Default: yes, probably.

> > Second, you can't have compile-time options anymore then.  IOW, you
> > gotta include everything into the compiled object already, to make it
> > run-time selectable.
>
> I'm not sure that I agree with this. For DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC maybe,
> but most of the options involve linking in code (or not) and filling
> in device arrays.

After browsing through the options listed in LINT, it seems that you
are right.

> Once you make most options loadable as kernel
> modules, ...

Loadable modules is one thing.  Another thing is to still link it to
the conglomerate kernel, but from .o files.  That's basically the
`classic' SysV way.  It's not that bright like LKMs, but certainly
easier to handle.

Of course, you are free to unbreak all the currently broken LKMs. :)
Many people often ask for what they could do in the FreeBSD project --
well that's one that could be done: fix the LKM mechanism.

> Does FreeBSD *really* have to be a system that only nurds play with? 8-)

I can't answer that question -- i can't find `nurd' in my
dictionary. :)

Anyway, i was merely referring to the question of the relation between
effort to spend into get such a scenario really flying, compared to
the fairly little cost of a kernel compilation.  You can perhaps
compile 10000 kernel from scratch in the time you need to do what
you're suggesting. ;-)  Admittedly, the biggest cost factor ain't
compile time, but probably the 30 MB for the kernel source & objects.
OTOH, even disk space is comparably cheap these, by sure much cheaper
than the scarce resource called ``FreeBSD developer's time''.

> [blows dust of old Motorola system] Now, how do I boot this SysV thingy?
> Sigh. It still works, damn!

C'mon, it doesn't have LKMs either, only a bunch of .a/.o files.

--
cheers, J"org