Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 00:12:10 -0500
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   4.0-S 3/31 KERNEL causes reboot on startup

Hi,
I have a spare machine I've been fooling with trying to learn 4.0-S before I
put it on my main machine.  I thought it might be beneficial to 'make world'
every night on this machine to see if any problems arise so I could report
them.

So, tonight (3/31) I took the following steps.
1. cvsup RELENG_4 (around 6pm EST)
2. make buildworld
3. make installworld
4. build and install a new kernel
5. mergemaster
6. reboot

During the kernel's hardware detection the system just reboots.  No
messages, just reboots.  I rebooted with the kernel.GENERIC (4.0-RC4) and
that did boot ok.  I rebuild and installed the GENERIC kernel.  Same
problem.

I genuinely don't even know how to proceed in troubleshooting this problem.
Yesterday's kernel (3/30) didn't have the problem.  The detection goes so
fast I can't really tell where it's crapping out, the nearest I can tell is
it's either during or right after it detects ed0 (PCI NE2000 card).

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris

P.S.  No optimizations were used for this build.