Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:26:41 -0500
From:      Cameron C Thomson <cthomson@unlnotes.unl.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Native JDK random # seed

   I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 with jdk 1.4.2p6.
   the linux-sun-jdk whe= n it suffers from a lack of entropy, rather
   than simply locking with n= o output.
   I had a number of apps that locked solid with no debug out= put or
   stack trace.  I ran these apps using the linux-sun-jdk and reci= eved
   an error relating to seeding random numbers (I can recreate and paste
   = the stack trace if needed).  I then switched back to the native jdk
   an= d seeded /dev/random with 'rndcontrol -s 10' . Now the native JDK
   gets past= the lockup.
   P.S. My solution to this is to set rndcontro= l in a startup script --
   let me know if I'm missing something..
   Tha= nks,
   - C. Colby Thomson
   J.D. Edwards Design Studio