Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:16:52 -0500
From:      George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is ipfw telling me ?

I do not agree. Here's why:

      the ipfw is on 10.0.0.2 and does not have a web server.
     10.0.0.1 does.

I see a lot of these style attacks, various ports, various services used on
10.0.0.1, always proxying to another machine. That is ipfw is on 10.0.0.2
and the signature of the log is:

     attacker:port 10.0.0.1:port

It makes me think that somehow a proxy attack is going on.

The 10.x.x.x are not the actual addresses obviously.

George

                    Peter
                    Pentchev             To:     George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu
                    <roam@orbitel        cc:     freebsd-security@freebsd.org
                    .bg>                 Subject:     Re: What is ipfw telling me ?

                    06/29/2001
                    10:04 AM

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:49:54AM -0500,
George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu wrote:
> What is ipfw telling me ?
>
> The 216 host is attempting to break in, but how is it using port 80 on
the
> other machine ?
>
>  ipfw: 2400 Deny TCP 216.239.46.20:21602 10.0.0.1:80 in via xl0

The host 216.239.46.20 is trying to connect to 10.0.0.1; the connection
attempt is from port 21602 (ephemeral, unique to this connection in
a certain timeframe) to port 80 on 10.0.0.1.  That is, someone from
216.239.46.20 is trying to browse the web on 10.0.0.1.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence claims to be an Epimenides paradox, but it is lying.