Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 21:00:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@fledge.watson.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nis/ftp

I'm now running nis between two FreeBSD systems I have -- the pentium is
serving nis, and the 386 is client.  the various partitions are nfs
mounted over, and users can log in, etc.  But for some reason they cannot
ftp in, getting this:

fledge>ftp thithle
Connected to thithle.watson.org.
robert
220 thithle.watson.org FTP server (Version 6.00) ready.
Name (thithle:robert): 530 User robert access denied.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

The local console gets this error:

Sep 29 20:58:31 thithle ftpd[244]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED FROM
FLEDGE.RES.CMU.EDU, robert

NIS appears to work fine except for this.. does anyone have any thoughts
as to what to do?  It's not vital that ftp works, but I'm concerned that
if ftp doesn't, other things might also have problems.

Thanks,.
Robert Watson