Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 13:18:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP glitches

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Robert Nordier wrote:

> Thanks very much for the info.

No prob.

> I think I tried to do pretty much what you have done in ppp.conf. I also
> found that ppp.linkup didn't seem to be working. I started out with

I'm not 100% on the format of ppp.linkup, so I can't help much here.
Looking at it, I would guess that the label: corresponds to an address
rather than a dial label (like my_isp).

> ifconfig_tun0="inet me.my_isp.com 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00"

I've been telling people that this is unnecessary, since ppp will handle
it by itself.  I don't have a line like this, and it works OK.

> I'm not sure whether the "ifconfig_tun0" line should even be there, since
> it is just a lie, anyway, and "routed" times out the route and gets rid
> of it after a few minutes. I'm also not sure whether I want or need
> "multicast".

Multicast is only if you're doing mbone stuff, otherwise you can ignore it.

> Internet:
> Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> default          196.7.101.66       UGc         0        0      tun0
> 10.0.0.1         127.0.0.1          UGHS        1        0       lo0
> 127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          1        0       lo0
> 196.7.101.66     196.7.101.141      UH          1        0      tun0
> 224              10.0.0.1           US          0        0      tun0
>
> After a ppp close, I'm left with
>
> Routing tables
>
> Internet:
> Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> 10.0.0.1         127.0.0.1          UGHS        1        0       lo0
> 127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          1        0       lo0
> 196.7.101.66     196.7.101.141      UH          1        0      tun0
> 196.7.101.141    127.0.0.1          UH          0        0       lo0

Hm.  I get the same thing happening on this line here -- the former
default route now going to lo0.

I started deleting any extraneous routes to lo0 before dialing up,
nothing should be pointing to it other than 127.0.0.1, IMHO.

> 224              10.0.0.1           US          0        0      tun0

> Before connecting again, I su to root and run a script containing
>
> netstat -r | grep '^[0-9]\{1,3\}\.' | awk '{print $1;}' | xargs -n1 route delete
> route flush
>
> which leaves me with
>
> Routing tables
>
> Internet:
> Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> 127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          0        0       lo0
> 224              10.0.0.1           US          0        0      tun0
>
> However, there must be something amiss somewhere. If I now do
>
> dial my_psp
>
> again, it works only about 70 percent of the time. Otherwise I get a message
>
> rtinit: wrong ifa (...) was (...)

Oh no, not this one.  Someone else was getting this and I don't remember
what was the cause.

> I feel sure I must have something set up wrong ... or maybe various things
> set up wrong. :-)

After you get ppp up, the next fight is the routing tables.  It always
is. :)

> Surely it should be possible to say (in effect) "OK, just forget all routing
> info from that last session." If that could happen, I think things would be
> OK, because it _always_ works correctly the first session.

I haven't an idea if this is possible.  You might try to see where
everything is going after you dial up; do netstat -rn, ping some site a
bunch, and do netstat -rn again and see what 'use' numbers increase.
This is more to get an idea of where everything is going.

> All this is a lot to bother anyone with, so feel free to >/dev/null it
> if too much trouble. :-)

I am no good at routing.  It takes me forever whenever the routing gets
messed up.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant