Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:38:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail...

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Khetan Gajjar wrote:

> >I'm assuming its a DNS lookup also, but Ive been too lazy to learn
> >dfilters to block a lookup.
>
> set dfilter 0 deny udp src eq 53
> set dfilter 1 deny udp dst eq 53
>
> from /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.filter.sample

Sheesh, easy enough to do. Think I mostly thought it was "hard" :)

Only thing is now that I think about it is I have a 95 box running RC5
and when it runs out of buffers to process it will send a DNS request to my
FreeBSD machine and then ppp dials out and establishes a connection to
flush the completeted blocks, and get new ones.

By blocking a DNS request like this I would think that now it wont work
automatically. My FreeBSD machine works the same way. I have RC5 running
as a process also.

So to block a DNS request for certain things but not for others from
specific clients would be what I want to do. Any input there?

95 box on 192.168.0.1, freebsd on 192.168.0., freebsd is a configed as a
gateway.

But I'll start digging through the appropriate man pages etc to see if I
can get this one.

Thanks,
Keith