Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 1996 15:49:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@hi-fi.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.0.2 SIGSEGV?!

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:

> Has anyone tried the FreeBSD JDK 1.0.2 that was recently posted?  For some
> reason, it always crashes with a SIGSEGV, and prints:
>
> SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
>     sig 11, code 12 or 0xc, sc 0xefbfd710, addr 0x1c
>
> Full thread dump:
>
> ... and then it hangs here ...

What is crashing? javac, java, or appletviewer?? On my system, everything
run just fine!! The only exception was the appletviewer, which crashed out
just like you mentioned unless it was running in 8bpp or 24bpp -- so when
I ran appletviewer on 32k colors, it dumped out.. I'm assuming this is
your problem.  Also, I had to change the scripts a little to hardwire in
my CLASSPATH and  substituted `arch` with i386.

Otherwise, the JDK works great (I've been using it all weekend for a
course!) -- many thanks to the author! I would be col, however, if the
appletviewer would work in 16bpp --> then FreeBSD would be better than Sun
for java developemnt  :-)

cya,
-Mark

| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch