Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 18:30:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (was: Who needs Perl? We do!)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Reality check: _ALL_ PC's sold these days ship with ATAPI CDROM
> > > drives.....
>
> FWIW:
>
> Our company just bought a bunch of Micron machines.  They are all SCSI,
> and they were not special order.

I'm assuming they were part of the "high-end" line at Micron -- I just
checked their ads and they ship SCSI on the high-end line. THis makes
sense.. but the point is that anyone buying the best in a PC _should_ know
the advantages of SCSI, and will probably request SCSI if the machine
doesn't ship with SCSI by default. Still, most people (I'd best 90% of
PC's sold today) are shipped with ATAPI CDROMS -- and EIDE hard drives.
When I was saying ALL, I meant damn near ALL...

I hate IDE/ATAPI and wouldn't run it on my machine if dealers GAVE me the
crap. And I certainly would never _build_ a machine for FreeBSD with IDE,
but that's irrelevent. You're living in make believe world if you think
the average PC user who might be interested in running FreeBSD will have a
full SCSI box...

We NEED better IDE/ATAPI support. I dont' have a big enough brain to write
this stuff myself, but I will conribute whatever I can to help the cause.

-mark

> > 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

| Mark Mayo		  mark@quickweb.com       |
| RingZero Comp.  	  vinyl.quickweb.com/mark |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch