Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 03:38:06 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
Cc:        moos@degnet.baynet.de, Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Quick Question

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:

>Sorry I don't buy this LAZY admin stuff!!

Nor do I.

>We all get busy (in a hurry) and forget the little things!
>Having to type ./ to execute a currentdir prog makes you
>stop and think!
>
>IMHO lazy people have '.' in thier path!

What's more annoying is building a program with a Makefile that
assumes that '.' is in the path. If you come across such insanity
- even if the program is not intended to be built by root - then
send a note to the author/maintainer pointing it out.

I should also mention that browsing a Makefile and any scripts
used by it is Good Practice. And, of course, noone actually runs
make for anything but an "install" as root, do they? :-)  (Ok, so
a make world on FreeBSD is different - so shoot me :)).

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn