Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:15:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        BRiGHTMN <brightmn@a-v25.rh.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@mailbox.uq.edu.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Linux emulator & weird Linux mmap semantics

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, BRiGHTMN wrote:

> > I've been messing about with the Linux emulator, to add support for the kinds
> > of manipulation involving mmaping sound devices that the OSS sound drivers
> > support. A test program compiled natively works fine, but after hacking away
> > at the Linux emulator to get it to recognize the various ioctls that OSS
> > supports (get caps, mmaping, getospace) I am not getting any joy. The linux
> > app (yes, it is quake if you must know) does not produce any sound, but thinks
> > that it's doing fine. Has anyone else come across this?
>
> someone told me they were able to get sound in quake already (OSS), but i
> haven't been able to do it.  if you are successful that would be great.

I think that someone (in the core team?) did it with an AWE 32/64, I'm
sure others have but I've not yet got my AWE 64 going yet. Besides, last
time I tried to use OSS my computer started crashing a lot, but then I had
a really cheap CS4232 (eh?) or something that couldn't even emulate 20% of
a soundblaster.

I think you really just need the exact right card, nothing else ever
works great - my one great gripe with FreeBSD.

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/