Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:22:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: migrating 2.1.7 -> 2.2: simple or hairy?

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Chris Shenton wrote:
>
> > Ideally I could do:
> >
> > 	mv /usr/src /usr/src.old
> > 	cvsup <whatever>-supfile	[whatever's appropriate for 2.2]
> > 	cd /usr/src
> > 	make world
> > 	make install
>
> Yes, that should work.

[SNIP]

> Don't forget your /etc updates...

Curious.. is /etc/ updated with a "src-all" line in the cvsup file? For
example, I use the following cvsup file:

*default tag=RELENG_2_2
*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
src-all

Will this get me the new /etc entries? Also, will these new entries wipout
my custom configs (hosts,rc, etc.)?

I'm guessing I should maybe make a backup copy of /etc and diff the
directories afterwards to see what's changed if that's the case.

TIA,
-Mark

> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
 Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity
 for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that
 suffering reaches its supreme point.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer