Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:54:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
To:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FBSD:  HP Desk Jet, printing  PS?

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, M. L. Dodson wrote:

> Hmmmm....  The only problems I have ever had with apsfilter (of
> recent vintage, anyway) had to do with interfacing it to Win95
> boxes via samba.  I use a Deskjet 540 at home with no difficulty
> (except for losing the last 0.25" of paper on the page).  Did the
> apsfilter set the correct option to be the default printer?

Well ... I guess it looks okay.  I'm not really knowledgable about this.
I ran test jobs with

  lpr -Pcdeskjet-letter-[insert type here]-[insert subtype here] filename

but all it ever printed was

  Unrecoverable error:  rangecheck in .setdevice
  Operand stack:  --nostringval--

(not formatted that way,though) and then ejected the sheet.

> What version of ghostscript are you using?
> 4.0 or later is desirable for the fonts, if for no other reason.

GNU 2.whatever, Aladdin 4.03 (I think).  However, it won't print anything:
ASCII, PS, you name it.

> Does the deskjet 320 emulate a cdeskjet pretty well?

Well, that was what the SETUP script advised.  The DJ 320 is a color Desk
Jet.  Is there a better option?

Thanks again.

Jeff