Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:19:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS locking status (rpc.lockd) ?

Hi all,

Is anyone currently working on getting NFS locking to work?  I just dug
through the list archive and it appears, a few months back, at least, that
some folks had been thinking seriously about attempting an implementation.
Where do we stand now?

I'm in the design stage for a large-scale system that pretty much requires
NFS-locking.  In short, the basic design is a cluster of identical servers
that NFS-mount user and group file areas off of one or more central,
RAID-based NFS server(s).

I'd _really_ like to use FreeBSD for this, but unless I can get the
locking working I don't see how it can happen.  (Any clever ideas for
working around the lack of NFS locking?)

If anyone _is_ working on this, I'd be glad to be of assistance in testing
or whatever.  I have access to FreeBSD, Solaris, and AIX (3.2.5 and 4.1)
boxes.

thanks,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx