Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 22:17:56 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, markm@freebsd.org
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATTENTION: Initial state of random pool

Recent Joerg report about fortune behaviour make me think about initial
state of /dev/random, i.e. what happens when rndcontrol not called
at all and no keys pressed (or the same key sequence, because it
relays on scancode)? I fear that pool state is very predicted in this
case. If I right, we need to do something to have true random in the
pool even without rndcontrol tool (it called even after daemons
started, so daemons can't use its advantages in any case!). I.e. add some
timer randomness at the kernel boot state
and allows rndcontrol-style IRQ set in kernel configure file.
I see blkdev randomness commented out in the code, maybe we can
re-activate it?
If my fears are true, we need to fix it ASAP.
Any ideas?

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>