Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:50:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   why bother submitting anything (via send-pr)

I'm debating with myself why I should bother submitting anything with
send-pr anymore.  It seems that unless it happens to be a pet project of
one of the developers, it will pretty much be ignored and never committed.
I have two submissions pending SOME response (even a 'no, we dont want it'
would be appreciated)--but nothing.  The first is a rewrite of the
libcrypt, and the second is 'doconfig' (a wrap of the kernel build
process, based off Digital Unix'es doconfig). Its been so long since I've
sent these in that I've lost the send-pr id for them (altho I could dig
them up again).

Basically, what i'm wondering (as a disgruntled person wanting to help but
seeming to be ignored) is why isn't there somebody simply responsible for
non-developer submissions?  So far it seems that the way things work
around here is if a developer takes interest in it, it'll move forward,
otherwise too bad, mebbe one of the other *BSD systems will like it.

Now, to retract a touch, I was in contact with Mark Murray
(mark@grondar.za) about the libcrypt rewrite--but I think he had some
hardware problems and either lost interest or isn't able to do much at the
moment (I havn't had any responses back from him).

-Brandon Gillespie