Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Robert Rusk <rrusk@thorung.eeng.dcu.ie>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs freeBSD

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 11:04:24AM -0700, Robert Rusk wrote:
> > I'm just wondering what advantages freeBSD has over Linux.
> > If you could enlighten me on this matter I would be most grateful
>
> That's a hot potato.  A lot of people get fanatical about the
> question.  Still, I've just had to write this up for the new edition
> of "The Complete FreeBSD", so here goes.  I welcome any comments or
> corrections.
>
> Greg
>
> What about Linux?
>
> Linux  is  a  clone  of  UNIX written by Linus Torvalds, a student in Helsinki,
> Finland.  At the time, the BSD sources were not freely available, and so  Linus
> wrote his own version of UNIX.
>
> Linux  is a superb example of how a few dedicated, clever people can produce an
> operating system that is better than well-known commercial systems developed by
> a  large number of trained software engineers.  It is better even than a number
> of commercial UNIX systems.
>
> Obviously, I don't think Linux is as good as FreeBSD, or I wouldn't be  writing
> this  book,  but the differences between FreeBSD and Linux are more a matter of
> philosophy rather than of concept.  Here are a few contrasts:

I think you could mention that FreeBSD is a classic (?) 4.4BSD type unix--
thus one of the two types with which a potential sysadmin might want to be
acquainted; Linux is a mix (so is most everything)--

It sounds as if FreeBSD runs Linux programs *because* not many commercial
programs are available--but the point to make is that FreeBSD has Linux
emulation and runs most programs available for Linux, whether commercial
or not.....

Drivers:  Drivers are available for most standard hardware, right?

Is the FreeBSD network code still better than Linux?

Software installation:  Some people have found that installing software
on Linux is far more of a hassle than it is on FreeBSD, because of the
variety of versions of software that may be included on any particular
distribution of Linux.  This may be one of FreeBSD's greatest and growing
strengths--that the version of the software on which port A is dependent
is there....basically installing software from ports or packages is
really pretty easy with FreeBSD.

"There is only one release of FreeBSD"--needs clarification.  The problem
here is that the word "release" is used in different ways.  There's 2.1,
there's 2.2, there's -current (3.0), there are snaps that are undistri-
buted releases.... (and some snaps are "released" for distribution by
WCcdrom--e.g., a version of -current a few months ago)....

Also the kind a variety of support--the nature of the community--
involved in Linux vs. FreeBSD is different....

FreeBSD as well as Linux is "bleeding edge" in -current....you don't
want to give the impression there's no advancement going on.  But the
"current" release of FreeBSD (2.2-R and its descendants, 2.2-Stable,
right now) aim to be reliable environments for production etc.etc.etc....
Note that Yahoo! uses FreeBSD (2.1 as of a few months ago), but there's
one big search engine (AltaVista?) that uses Linux.

FreeBSD's "stable" branch at any gives time also has various changes
made to it, e.g., bug fixes, improvements etc. that keep it up to date
and reliable without introducing, necessarily, new features that might
or might not work.....while the developmental work continues on the
"current" branch.....I'm not sure if one installed, say, RedHat, that
there would be a series of improvements available.....

Annelise