Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:49:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NetBIOS across a masquerading gateway

I don't know if this is quite a -hackers question, but I wanted to access
the expertise in this group.  I have received an inquiry about whether it
is possible for NetBIOS over TCP/IP to work through a masquerading gateway
(e.g. natd or ppp -alias).

Normally, when confronted with setting up Windows for Workgroups, I hold
my nose shut and execute whatever mouse clicks and keystrokes seem to get
things working, but without understanding or remembering the slightest bit
about Microsoft networking.

So I have a few questions:

    (1) Can Windows networking work over an
        IP based wide area network?

    (2) If so, can such networking work across
        the existing FreeBSD masquerading mechanism
        in natd and ppp -alias?

    (3) If many-to-one IP masquerading is not
        presently compatible with Microsoft networking,
        is it at least conceptually possible?  Or is it
        somehow logically impossible?

  -- Charles Mott