Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 13:17:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rtinit

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

> do you have appletalk?

We do have one Mac system setup on our LAN.  Appletalk is active on the
Mac to allow it to communicate with PCs on the LAN via PC/MacLAN, but it
uses TCP/IP (Open Transport) to communicate with the server.  We were
initially getting arp lookup errors...  so we used arp to add entries for
the systems on our LAN.  This did not fix the problems, probably because I
used arp incorrectly.  We changed the subnet our LAN was using to
255.255.255.252 and the arp lookup errors went away - for our PC-based
systems, that is.  The Mac would not allow us to change the subnet to .252
but insisted it remain 255.255.255.0 in TCP/IP.  Would something I did
with arp be causing this problem or do I need to configure either the
server or the Mac in some way?  Thanks for any insight...

---
 Mike Hoskins
 SEI Data Network Services, Inc.
 mike@seidata.com