Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 01:17:28 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au
Cc:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, pkelly@kuentos.guam.net, skrishna@cisco.com, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which SQL Database for Web Applications ?

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Gary Roberts wrote:

> >   Solid is nice.  Of the free databases, PostgreSQL probably has the least
> > limited SQL support though.  Both mSQL and MySQL lacked all kinds of
> > things that PostgreSQL does.
>
> How quickly are the `free three' developing?

	We (PostgreSQL) are restricting ourselves to a 3 per year release
cycle (3 months heavy development, 1 month of beta before release) which
we find works well.  Like FreeBSD-current, we generally try and make sure
that bugs are cleaned up as they are found, so you *could* use the source
tree pretty much at any time (available via CVSup), but we don't recommend
it for those unwilling to accept problems.

	This release (v6.3) is what I'm considering to be our biggest one
yet, with a major amount of new features being added that ppl have been
asking for (UNIONs, subselects, etc)...

> Anyone care to venture
> opinions about `ease of learning and use' type issues.

	I would imagine that any of the 'free three' are about the same in
this regard, in that their 'basis' is SQL.  PostgreSQL is extendable, so
if you want to get into some of the more advanced features, the learning
curve is slightly stepper, but that is to be expected...

> How viable would
> any of the above be for setting up a project to manage bookings for special
> courses conducted frequently (30+ courses per year, 10 students per course).
> Need to manage booking details, information mail-outs, exam results,
> invoicing, retrieval of previous results (full student history), etc.

	Depends on what you mean by viable...most of what you describe
above is alot of front-end code, and therefore could be done using any of
the three...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org