Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 08:49:42 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Gilad Rom <admin@www.megido.inter.net.il>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Surprise Reboots

I've got a new box, about two weeks ago, to replace my good ol' DX2/66.
This box is an Intel Pentium 200Mhz, has a 430TX Motherboard, 32MB on one
SDRAM chip, and an ESS Soundcard, a x20 IDE CDROM + 4.3GB EIDE Western
Digital Harddrive, and an ATI 3D Rage II. Ofcourse, the minutes I got it
I happily installed FreeBSD on it, from a 2.2.5-RELEASE CD I had burned a
couple of days before. Everything seemed to go fine, when suddenly the box
rebooted. I thought it had to be a power surge or something like that, so
I just carried on. (When I just got the machine it had a 166Mhz CPU in it)
On the past two weeks, the machine has rebooted on me on random times,
Without any warning. Once make buildworld completes, and another time it
simply reboots in the middle of the process.
Thinking it had to be a hardware problem, I have changed the SDRAM chip
and upgraded the CPU to a 200Mhz one. I have also cvsup'd to the latest
-STABLE sources since, and did a 'make world -j4' with the new chips.
it went fine. for the last couple of days, everything seems to be going
fine. Last night, I left my box on at night while downloading xemacs20.
guess what I found out when I got up in the morning?

mount R/W of / failed - file system is not clean! fun fsck manually

which means the box had rebooted just like it did before.
I have no explanation for this, except I get kernel double faults
sometimes, right before the reboot. I'd tell ya what they say, except it
reboots right after that.

Anyway - If someone has similar a similar problem - or similar hardware -
Id really like to know about it.
Thanks.
					Gilad Rom.

#I know there are no monsters... Then why do they keep chasing me??