Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:29:01 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using tcpdump effectively

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> What sporadically happens is that a X session to our Mentor Design Architect
> running on HP  is ceased and the connection breaks (we login via rlogin
> and start the X client with DISPLAY set to the FreeBSD machine.)
Es mag dich nicht!

> When the connection breaks we see something like 'no route to host'
This looks like it could be a routing problem. The X protocol has a number
of well known security problems. Personally I would suggest that you use
secure shell to forward the X11 connections. I believe you can download
the unix verion from www.datafellows.com.

> Could that be caused by denial of service attacks? What exactly is a denial
> of service attack?
Rather than try to break into a system, the person simply tries to break
the system so as to be a pain in the butt to the "real" users.

-Mike