Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:53:36 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, se@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fetch + size

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got the following (slightly changed) from Stefan Esser (se).  It
> adds support for file size checking (-S) option to fetch.
>
> I'm torn whether it should go in before the release, for two reasons:
>
> (1) The -S flag of "fetch" just went into -current, if it doesn't work
>     as well as it's supposed to this might cause a great instability
>     in ports

 This won't help too many people as for the moment I assume that the vast
majority of FreeBSD production machines run 2.2-stable...
 And if it might be buggy in bleeding edge -current...

> (2) The patch adds a SIZE line to files/md5.  That is quite
>     displeasing aesthetically (there's a reason why the file was
>     called "md5" in the first place...)

 I don't see how a file with different size would have the same MD5
checksum !...
 Why should we need a SIZE line on top of the MD5 checksum ?

> What do people think?  I'm leaning towards leaving this out for 3.0R,
> for reasons stated above.  (We'll be dealing with a whole bunch of
> diffs to files/md5 if this goes in, so it's going to be a royal pain
> to change it later....)

 IMHO I think that this SIZE addition would be an uneccesary complication!

> Satoshi
> -------
[Patch deleted]

 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)