Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 14:02:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        Mik Firestone <fireston@lexmark.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current panics with SMP, a 7880 and a 7895

I'm not quite -current at the moment and there are a changes from the last
few days that affect both SMP and CAM.  (Catching up right now.)

However, my experience with a dual-PII and a 3940AUW (are you sure that
your card isn't one of these, rather than a "2940 dual card"?) has not
demonstrated the problem.  I am not running any external devices, however,
which is probably the key to the problem.

You might re-cvsup because I think there were some aic7xxx changes this
morning, and you may have also missed an SMP/VM commit from yesterday.

-Chris

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Mik Firestone wrote:

> I am running a Dual Pentium Pro on an PR440FX with and AIC 7880 on board. I
> also have a 2940 Dual PCI card installed ( 7895 chipset ).
>
> If I boot an SMP kernel, it panics while probing the external chain on the
> Dual card.  The kernel is freshly installed from a locally built 1998-10-07,
> somewhere around 4:00 am EDT.
>
> Now, it gets more interesting.  The same kernel config minus the SMP options
> will boot.  The same kernel config MINUS the 7895 chip boots as well.
> Methinks CAM does not like SMP and 7895 chips.
>
> Further, we ( being somewhat bored and having some spare parts ) decided to
> throw a normal 2940 card ( 7880 chipset ) in the machine a it booted without
> complaint.  Did I mention we think CAM, SMP and 7895 just don't play well
> together?
>
> Following is the dump and the trace.

[...]