Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@pond.net>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  using raw sockets

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Bill Fenner wrote:

> What OS version, and what kind of ethernet card, are you using when you
> see the BPF symptoms that you mention?  I've never seen either of the
> problems you describe.  It seems to me that fixing bpf is a much better
> target than creating a whole new mechanism.

I'm on 2.2.7-RELEASE with a 3Com 3c509 (ep0).  I'm using a program I wrote
that's derived from ppp(8), which operates in a select() loop.  I don't
know exactly where the holdup is, but from my debugging output I don't
think it's my code (it reads the packets I send out immediately, just not
any inbound packets).

It very well could be the remote router, but looking at it's logs it's
responding to my pings immediately, but bpf doesn't register them until I
stop sending packets for a few moments.  It could also be the DSL modem
I'm using for testing.  An independent tcpdump on the same interface shows
the same behavior.  I'm assuming the timestamps are generated by tcpdump,
or are they the real packet timestamps?

I'm going to try this on a 3.0-generation machine with a de-based card (if
I can find one and if the P100 workstation I have has enough slots left).

Doug White                    | Pacific Crest Networks
Internet:  dwhite@pond.net    | http://www.pond.net/