Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:37:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Troy Settle <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
Cc:        Leif Neland <root@swimsuit.internet.dk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dummy-pop3 server

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Joseph M. Scott wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Leif Neland wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a dummy pop3-server, which can authorize anybody, and just
> > send a single message: 'Hey dummy, we have moved the pop3-server; don't
> > use this ip-adress, use the name: "mail.our.domain" instead.'
>
> 	You could also forward all pop3 traffic to the new machine.  It's
> probably unlikely that the people checking their email will ever get the "
> the pop server is now at : whatever_ip", though this may depend largely on
> the mail client.

I'm trying to redirect port 110 traffic to the appropriate host.  I had
thought that running a simple script to telnet over would do the trick,
but at least one MUA doesn't seem to like it much (works great by telnet).

Anyways, I looked at the man page for ipfw(8), and tried to figure out
that divert thing, but it makes no sense in the context of the man page.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Or, if anyone has a perl or C proggy that just opens a transparent socket
to another host, I'd appreciate it.

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services