Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:49:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multia X-Files...

> I don't know what the exact reason for the spontaneous reboots might be
> but I suspect dodgy hardware.  Do these multias run any other operating
> systems successfully?

NT successfully, but that's not to say I actually consider it an OS ;)
Since this is exactly why I have these boxes, I'll try to burn one down
asap and try Linux or NetBSD on it.

> > panic: ffs_valloc: dup inode
[ SNIP ]
> I have often seen this after rebooting from a crash.  It is caused by fsck
> not picking up some inconsistency of the disk I think.

That could be...  Maybe I was just hoping that the VM is finally past the
'Dave Rivers panic' stage.  I could believe it's the hardware, except that
under 4.0-C it seems bulletproof.  I'm going to continue hammering one of
these boxes and see what results.

> > dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin 30
> Possibly dodgy firmware?

I saw in the archives another Multia person had these messages.  They
appear to be harmless.  This message appears on Multia's but not UDB's.
I've flashed the SRM console/firmware to the latest available from DEC.

Hmmmm.  Is there a pattern here?

On boot I get 6 pin 30's right after the probe message

Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
<dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin 30> 6 times
ncr0: <ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi> rev 0x01 inta irq 11 on pci0.6.0
chip0: <Intel 82378ZB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x03 on pci0.7.0
de0: <Digital 21040 Ethernet> rev 0x23 int a irq 15 on pci0.8.0
<dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin 16> 1 time
<dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin 30> 16 times
<isa probes>

Is the fact I get 6 messages then find a device at pci0.6.0 a coincidence?
Also, some (warm?) warm boots under the 3.1-S kernel finds the following
before the isa probe and it's associated pin 30 messages:

vga0: <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0x00 on pci0.14.0
(There's no vga device in there...  Not even an expansion slot until
recently)

So, is it possible these messages are a result of the pci probe code
stepping through all of the non-connected PCI addresses on the bus?  Could
it be that because there is no possible way a device could ever show up
there (ie: no expansion bus) the chip just fires back interrupts on pin
30?

(Forgive my ignorance of the PCI code if this is not the way things
work...  I've not had a chance to become aquainted adequately with the
PCI code ;)

- Bruce

Bruce M. Walter, Principal
NIXdesign Group Inc.