Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:08:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Alejandro_Ram=EDrez?= <ales@megared.net.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with port 25 and NAT!!!

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, [iso-8859-1] Alejandro Ram=EDrez wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
>     I=B4m setting up a FreeBSD 3.2 Release server, as a mail server using
> sendmail 8.9.3,
> i have procmail 3.13.1 to deliver mail to home directories, have quotas
> enabled,
> I=B4m using NAT in my Cisco routers, and everything it=B4s working great,=
 the
> server it=B4s
> very fast responding to the smtp requests of the machines in the local
> network
> (Where the IP address it=B4s not translated) if telnet the server to the =
port
> 25, the
> response it=B4s very fast too, but when i try to send email with a comput=
er
> that it=B4s behind
> the NAT, it takes 25 seconds to respond the smtp request, even if i telne=
> to the machine
> to the port 25 it delays 25 seconds to answer, but in the computers that =
are
> behind the
> NAT, i can telnet the sever very fast, and also i can telnet the server t=
> the port 110
> with a very fast response, the problem i=B4ts only with the port 25
> apparently, what can
> I do to correct this problem, BTW, I also have an NT machine that it=B4s
> working as mi
> actual mail server, and i have no problems with it, i can telnet to this
> server to the port
> 25 and the response it=B4s very fast from the computers behind the NAT, i=
 dont
> think this
> is a problem with mi routers, because it always have worked rigth since 1
> year ago, and
> they are working rigth now very well with the NT server.
>=20
> It=B4s there some tweak thing to do, or what can I do to Fix it???
>=20

make sure DNS is working properly on both sides, can the machines
recieving mail do DNS lookups to the outside?

btw, can you tell your mailer to use plain ascii, it's using some
weird encoding that's kinda hard to read..

you may want to consult with the smtp RFC and try to simulate
a mail exchange over telnet and see where it "hangs"

-Alfred