Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:19:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Colin <cwass99@home.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug-fixing previous -RELEASE, was Re: speaking of 3.4...

(Leaving Jordan's original message for context)

I think I just "got it".   Is the following description correct:

(Ignoring -CURRENT for a minute).

You have stable tracking along with "snapshots" like:

-STABLE-19991001
-STABLE-19991002
-STABLE-19991005

and so on.  (Exact naming convention might be sligtly different)

My original assumption was that this occured:

-STABLE-19991201 - Feature Freeze
-STABLE-19991206 - Bug fixes incorporated
-STABLE-19991212 - Final bug fixes incorporated
-STABLE-19991215 - release - EXACTLY the same as -RELEASE, no new branch
-STABLE-19991216 - Back to "stable normallity"

I believe what I am hearing is that in reality what occurs is this:

-STABLE-19991212 - Final bug fixes incorporated
-STABLE-19991215 - release, NEW BRANCH CREATED.

And then we have both:

-STABLE-19991216 - next stable "snapshot"
...and so on

-RELEASE-19991220 - release bugfixes
...and so on.

So in all reality, I could track -RELEASE on a machine instead of -STABLE
to get bug fixes.

Of course, I would also have to help encorage someone to merge "critical"
bug-fixes back into the appropriate -RELEASE.

Is this correct?  If not, where did I err?

-forrestc@imach.com

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ