Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:56:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic with DEVFS

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:

> is it possible to find out which device it is?

Doesn't matter (at least with a dozen of my tests, when I was disabling
various devices).

> disabled devices should not show up in devfs as they

They don't. I checked it - I was able to do 'ls -l', and got the full
listing, and in a second or two later the machine panics. I'm totally lame
when it comes to FS internals, but this looks to me as if some delayed
action (caching? cleaning? read-ahead? whatever?) is causing this.

I'm receiving also another error related to / on MFS: when I press
Ctrl-Alt-Del, the system should sync disks and then unmount them, right?
but I'm getting 'unmount of / failed (30)' which means EROFS, which is
strange because / is mounted r/w. Any ideas?

 > should not be probed and the probe routine should be responsible for
> adding the devfs entries..
> (actually the  attach routine but...)
> except for devices that do not probe, (e.g. /dev/mem)
> which do it in their init routine.
>

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It was pointed to me that it's very easy to panic -current system running
> > DEVFS on /dev, with / on MFS.
> >
> > The problem manifested itself with picobsd floppy. The following scenario
> > causes panic with "mfs_strategy: bad dev":
> >
> > 1. boot with -c
> > 2. disable at least one device
> > 3. log in
> > 4. cd /dev
> > 5. ls -l
> >
> > What's funny is that when I do 'ls' (without -l) in step 5., everything is
> > ok.
> >
> > My guess is that DEVFS doesn't like these devices which are present in
> > kernel, but are disabled...
> >
> > Andrzej Bialecki

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Andrzej Bialecki