Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:18:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PicoBSD going ELF & other news.

Hi,

This is just to let you know that I've committed (hopefully) all necessary
changes to build picobsd userland in ELF format. I checked that it builds
ok and the floppies are working. The kernel is still a.out till the issues
with the new bootloader clear up.

If you could spare an hour or two to check if they work for you, I'd be
grateful to hear a report from you.

Other news:

* TinyWare collection includes now one more utility, named
  'msg', which is a sysctl-based equivalent of normal 'dmesg'

* There is optional support for recently added bridging and bandwidth
  limiting. Now you can build yourself not only a firewall, but also a
  bridge and traffic shaper - very neat! :-). In order to use these
  features you need to uncomment appropriate options in kernel config
  file. Our tiny netstat (ns) has been modified to display bridging
  statistics.

* "net" and "isp" floppies now use UCD-SNMP v. 3.5

* This is a bad news: we had to stop using DEVFS because currently it's
  broken. This is sad because now again we have to create all necessary
  device nodes in /dev manually, and they take a lot of space... :-((

* But the good news is that ELF binaries take less space compressed, so
  in fact we have slightly more space on the floppy (but less space on
  the MFS - uncompressed ELF binaries are a tiny fraction bigger, plus
  the space for all /dev/* nodes).

That's more or less all for now...

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see: