Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:01:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Tom Jackson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 09:02:11AM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > Trouble is, with old bootblocks, that "drop boot.conf" trick doesn't
> > work, it just hangs.  To get the elf kernel booted, you have to update
> > the bootblocks, *then* they can use both.  Julian's request is dead as
> > it stands, you can't do that.  To get the elf kernel, you need newer
> > bootblocks, which is why I suggested detecting the old ones, and maybe
> > refusing to install an elf kernel.
> >
> Question to you Chuck. Does issuing '/boot/loader' at the boot: prompt
> work and have you tried boot.config (!boot.conf) with the /boot/loader
> in it?

I did it.  It works only if you install bootblocks newer than the ones I
originally had in the machine, from the 2.2.6 cdrom.  Those, no, they
don't work at all ... you get to the point where it's saying

bss=[0x0] text=[0x4]  (I forget the actual numbers)

and it hangs.  Installing the new bootblocks cleared the problem, but if
you do this without the new bootblocks, you're in trouble.

Peter had told me about how to test it without changing boot.conf, so I
knew it was failing before it cut me off from my machine.  I used
disklabel to install the new boot stuff, and then there were no bugs
left, and I'm now running elf.

I figured that the chances of others having bootblocks too old for elf
kernels, and not knowing about the need to update the bootblocks, is
probably pretty high.  I don't know if you just change boot.conf, with
the old boot blocks, if you cut your throat (need a floppy boot to fix),
but I think so.  That's the worry that bothered me.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).