Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:33:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc Makefile

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Mark Murray wrote:
> > Ok, I can go and browse through the mailing list archives for any HEADS-UP
> > messages and hope that I find all the important changes. But wouldn't it
> > be much easier to just read some text file, which has a checklist of
> > things to do, like:
> >
> > - check that user "foo" exists, if not create it
> > - make sure you have file /etc/bar.conf
>
> Easy for you to read. Nobody has the time-and-energy to MAINTAIN it!!

I was expecting a reply like this. But consider this: every time someones
"make world" blows up, someone replies to his call for help on the
-current mailing list. The first time something like this happens, instead
of replying, one could add the instructions to this README file instead,
and point the clueless newbie to it.

And if you argue that there's no time and energy to maintain it, where is
the time and energy to maintain a "make check-etc" target in the makefile,
which I believe would be more work than a simple README file?

I can offer my help with maintaing this file. Give me a couple of days to
browse through the mailing list archive and try to remember all the
-recent (and old) pitfalls that we have in the tree.

And we could also add a message which gets printed when you start a make
world:

"Please read the README.FIRST file, or you make world _will_ blow up."

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia