Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:51:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-channel communications

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> Are there any plans to implement communications over the D-channel?
> Are people interested in such an implementation?

   Just a few weeks ago, I was talking to an engineer friend of mine at
Alpha Telecom about their AODI (Always-On D Information) project. It seems
that (at least locally), the phone companies don't think sneaking stuff
over their D-Channels (were they can't do time tracking on it) is very
funny, but it is certainly operational as a technology demo.
   They had no idea if they would be releasing the hardware for this
anytime soon (if at all). It seems they were quite pleased with how much
use one can get out of a spare 16k-wide channel (grin)... I'll let you
know if they release the Black Magic on it--it sure sounds like fun!

--Rick Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
We are a Micro$oft-free site