Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:13:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        "Mike O'Dell" <mo@servo.ccr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a nit, however....

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Mike O'Dell wrote:

> any reason why the kernel "config" program shouldn't
> be changed to dramatically reduce the requirement for
> the silling quoting of option values???  if an option
> needs embedded whitespace, but other than that,
> is there any reason other than historical for
> the silliness about nubmers, etc??

  Actually, as I understand it config(8) was never meant to allow the LACK
of quotation marks.  It's simply we've grown accustomed to not using them,
I suppose, that we don't. I, for one, have every option quoted in my kernel
configuration file. The right thing would be to not allow lack of quotes
at all, I believe, but that would be disastrous now with current config
files, and release scripts.

> 	-mo

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \