Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:42:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Kephart <mkephart@nortelnetworks.com>, Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>, Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>, Dru Nelson <dnelson@redwoodsoft.com>, Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>, Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>, Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>, Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>, "Jordan K . Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nate Williams <nate@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.ORG>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@FreeBSD.ORG>, Doug White <dwhite@FreeBSD.ORG>, Doug Rabson <dfr@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: PCCARD support -- welcome to the revolution!

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Scott Mitchell wrote:

>  - Fitting PCMCIA/CardBus into the 'new bus' and 'dynamic device' support
>    that is apparently somewhere in the pipeline.  I expect this _will_
>    involve a rewrite of most of the support code and drivers :(  For now I
>    guess we should be tracking what's going on in that area,  and making
>    appropriate suggestions to ease the pain of transition when the time
>    comes.

I'm making slow but steady progress in this area, mainly changing the ISA
and PCI code to use the new framework.  Last time I checked, I have about
130k of diffs to the -current kernel.  If anyone else is going to work on
this, we will need a cvs repository to coordinate things.

> So there you go.  Anyone with any interest in working on any part of this,
> please drop me an email (some of you I've heard from already, you're on the
> Cc: list of this message).  I'd particularly like to hear from the 'new
> bus' folks (Garrett? Doug? -- hope I tagged the right people there) as to
> what the current state of this is and which bits of the source we should be
> grokking.  Help at any level is much appreciated -- from kernel hackers to
> those who juat don't mind having to reinstall when some evil sub-alpha code
> trashes their disks.

I'm keen to see better support for my laptop :-).  I have a Tosh Tecra
8000 with two Topic97 cardbus slots and a docking station with two Topic95
cardbus slots.  I have exactly one peripheral (a 3com Megahertz cardbus
ethernet card).

> Various people on the list have recommended books -- any other suggestions?
> I'm going to obtain some of these RSN, but I obviously can't afford to buy
> them all! [Mike: is the offer of assistance in obtaining the official
> standard still open?  What do we need to do?].  I personally don't feel
> confident taking on anything more fundamental than drivers for specific
> cards until I've read some of this stuff.  Pointers to freely-available
> controller & card docs from manufacturers would also be welcomed.

I have a copy of "CardBus System Architecture" from Mindshare which is
quite good.  They have a series which covers pccard and pci but I don't
have the others.

> The UK FreeBSD users group is supporting this effort with web space and
> other 'net resources -- I'll let you all know the URL once I get the
> account set up.  Note: everyone reading this in the UK should join this
> group; if nothing else, it's great value for money ;-)

I really ought to join after all these years...

> OK, enough waffle from me.  This thing is only going to go anywhere if
> other people get behind it, so please get in touch, tell me what you're
> doing, tell me I'm full of BS, tell me what direction *you* think this
> project should be taking.  I'm the point man, so I have to expect to get
> shot at sometimes...
>
> Looking forward to working with you all,

You are based in London?  We will have to try and meet for a beer sometime
:-).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com