Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:57:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sun automounter -> fbsd amd problem

Greetings, :)

	I'm adding a FreeBSD machine to an existing all-sun shop and I
need help with setting up amd. I'm a virtual NFS novice (although for
those that don't know me I'm experienced with other aspects of FreeBSD).
On our sun machines we have the following auto_Directory file:

*	IP&:/usr/&

To translate, if I'm on local and I want to mount the /usr/foo directory
on remote (where "IPfoo" is an alias in /etc/hosts for "remote") I just do
'cd /Directory/foo' and voila, I'm there. That's what the ampersand means
in the automounter file.

	Now I don't necessarily need to be able to do all of that, I can
generate a list of specific directories if I have to. What I DO need to be
able to do is automount /usr/foo on "remote" when I cd to /Directory/foo
on "local," and for the life of me I can't figure out the syntax of
amd.conf, amd.map, or the amd command line. I'm sure I could probably lick
it by spending some more time on it (which I will of course be doing) but
I'm kind of under the gun at work to get this thing going like, yesterday.

	The good news is that I can mount the stuff with a manual mount
command, so the NFS bit is good to go. It's just amd that's giving me
grief. I looked through the mail archives and didn't see any examples that
made sens to me. If someone could provide me with a concrete example, I'd
be really grateful. I have read the web page at
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bsd/amdref.html and still haven't
deciphered it entirely. There is a lot of theory there, but not enough
concrete examples for my taste.

Many thanks,

Doug
--
Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative
Dick Armey (Texas), who when asked if he were in the President's place,

"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign.
I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey standing
over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"