Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:57:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why? (Was: Re: FreeBSD, the follower of Linux ?)

Excuse me for butting in, but I have some serious questions about the
whole tenor of the "advocacy" issue and some of the complaints Brett
is raising.

Why should we evangelize? What value is there in selling any Unix OS
to the Maudie Fricks of the world? I can't see Unix on the desktop
(not even Linux) until some serious and large development effort and
dollars go into a no-brain interface that Maudie can use out of the
box. AIX failed at that, Solaris failed at that -- and so has every
other flavor of unix I know. None of the core teams nor the Linux
cadre are drawn to that aspect of Unix for the simple fact that Unix
has not been, nor is likely to be about the desktop and the point and
click user.

Rather, Unix has been about more serious, working systems. I run into
a large number of old farts in the Unix world who are still bitter
about Sun abandoning SunOS in favor of SYSVR4. Most have been in the
trenches and are delighted to know that BSD is still alive and well --
most of them aren't too thrilled about Linux. Most of them don't deal
with toy systems, rather 24/7 mission critical systems and have a
tendency to judge quality systems by how often and when their pagers
go off. I agree with them.

The development model that appears to stiffle "creativity" and the
"sociology" -- both of which are null terms, as far as I can tell, is
precisely the model under which professional software is developed.
It's the model that makes all of the *BSDs a superior choice to the
haphazard phenomenon lumped under the umbrella of "Linux". Word is
spreading and awareness is growing. Patience seems more appropriate
than zealotry.

Most professionals are turned away by evangelical zeal -- they've seen
too much in the past, they won't buy it now. Surprisingly, they are
also skeptical of the availability of source -- they perceive it as an
invitation to intrusion as has been demonstrated so many times in the
past with Linux systems. They are slow to embrace open source at the
OS level. Robust security and quality, though, makes open source more
desirable -- but security and quality are most important. If advocacy
makes us look like Linux, we will be rejected as no better than Linux.

So the real queston is this: it's a long, slow process converting
professonals, and zealotry won't do it -- quality will. To whom would
you rather appeal; the professionals or the desktop crowd?

Sorry for my long winded 4 bits.

-- Jay