Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:36:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Andreas Berg <andy@flame.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD detected as a virus..

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Andreas Berg wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE installed, a snapshot from 26/9. I also have=20
> Windows 98 installed, and with Win98 I use Norton Antivirus to keep my=20
> system clean of viruses. Something in FreeBSD is detected as a=20
> Bloodhound.MBR virus and if I choose repair, FreeBSD dissapears from my=
=20
> system as if it never existed. Has anyone else experienced this?

The `booteasy' boot manager that comes with FreeBSD is typically written
to the MBR (master boot record) of your hard disk during installation.
Probably Norton Antivirus has eliminated the boot manager.

Boot from floppy/cd into the install program again, choose post-install
configuration, fdisk disk slice editor, don't change anything, type `w'
for write, select then boot manager installation, type `q' for quit and
leave the whole thing.

You will be able to boot the hard installation again, but you may want the
protect the MBR of your hard disk against modification before by an
appropriate bios setting (often but not always supported). After that,
Norton Antivirus won't be able to eliminate booteasy again, and no virus
will be able to copy itself into the MBR.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=