Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 17:15:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        kudzu@tenebras.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Numerous broken ports

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Michael Sierchio wrote:

> Brett Taylor wrote:
>
> > Try re-cvsup'ing your ports tree.

> Done early and often.  This of avail only if the port maintainer has
> done anything useful, like checking the port against a new -RELEASE or
> -STABLE distribution.

First Satoshi builds ALL of the ports on a weekly (I believe) basis for
3.4, 4.0, and 5.0 (3.4 testing is probably dead or on its way out
relatively soon).  If it doesn't build there, it's flagged as broken.

How are you cvsup'ing ports (ie, what's your supfile look like)?
What are you using for a ports-all tag? I run everything from 3.4 ports to
4.0 ports on a single 3.4 machine and never have trouble with a weekly
CVSup.

> I've not noticed as many broken ports as there are now.

I have no idea what this means - what are your comparison dates?  Frankly
I've been using ports since 2.1.7 and the ONLY time I've had trouble w/
ports is when it was operator error.

> And the quality, as of 4.0-RELEASE / -STABLE is decidedly poor.

Funny I haven't noticed this or seen many complaints in -questions or
other mailing lists either.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *