Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:38:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Janko van Roosmalen <acs.van.roosmalen@hccnet.nl>
To:        James Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install NT and return

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, James Wilde wrote:

> My problem:  I have an old server with an original SCSI disk on which I have
> installed 4.1.  In the server, as disk 2 I have another SCSI disk from
> another machine with, of course, another SCSI adapter.  The original machine
> from which this disk came had a mobo crash a month or so ago.
>
> I need to get some data off this disk, and FreeBSD is playing games and says
> the disk can not be read.  Nonetheless, it has found some normally hidden
> system files from NT on the disk.  Before I give it up for lost I want to
> try a reinstall of NT on the old disk.
>
> Now I suspect that this will write over my FreeBSD mbr on disk 1 with the NT
> mbr.  What I would like to know is what must I save from the FreeBSD disk -
> and how - in order to be able to restore FreeBSD functionality when the
> attempted rescue operation is over?  And secondly, how do I do that?
>
> URLs would be appreciated in case the actual commands are too involved to
> write, and as always, I'm very grateful to all who take the time to answer.

If I were you I would get a spare IDE disk to install NT and leave the
FreeBSD SCSI untouched. How much does a 10 Gb IDE disk cost these days?

> Incidentally, one of the main functions of this server when it is back up
> running FreeBSD is going to be as a firewall.  Not to protect my internal
> network from the Internet but to protect the Internet from my internal
> machines, which, especially since I upgraded one of them from NT Server to
> W2K server, have frenetically rung up the Internet through my ISDN
> connection, in a frantic attempt to announce themselves to whichever
> nameserver will listen, and so far I haven't found a way to stop them.  If
> anyone recognizes this behaviour and has cured it, please let me know!

I have no experience with a W2K server. The latest edition of "Building
Internet Firewalls" has W2K server info, which I skipped reading. I do not
know if blocking the netbios ports 137, 138 and 139 will stop the
announcing behaviour.
Another O'Reilly book "Using Samba" mentions setting up a Wins server in
Microsoft network greatly diminishes the SMB broadcasts on a network.

> mvh/regards
>
> James

===Janko van Roosmalen - Vught - Netherlands===