Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:17:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> >I believe that if what you are saying is correct, merely following
> >the xdm documentation and starting the X server in /etc/ttys should
> >resolve his problem.
>
> I guess it may not.  After init forks and execs getty and xdm, we
> don't know the exact order in which these processes will be scheduled
> to run on which CPU, do we?  /etc/ttys does not ensure the order of
> execution.
>
> If xdm happens to run before other getty processes, it may grab a vty
> which will be eventually opened by a getty later.

vty's are assigned in /etc/ttys, though:

ttyv4   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
^^^^^
so it the starting order shouldn't matter, unless you have a getty and xdm
assigned the same vty, and then it _should_ lock up whether using SMP or
not.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.